To empower and advance the Hispanic community.
WHO WE ARE
Hispanic Federation (HF) is the nation’s premier Latino nonprofit membership organization. Our mission is to empower and advance the Hispanic community and its varied institutions.
With a strong foothold in New York, Washington D.C. and states throughout the eastern corridor of the United States, HF works to uplift millions of Hispanic children, youth and families locally and nationally by strengthening Latino nonprofits, engaging in public policy advocacy and implementing innovative community programs.
Founded in 1990, HF uses its network of Hispanic nonprofits and close linkages with grass roots leaders, media and policymakers to empower and advance the Hispanic community. HF has gained national recognition for its work in the areas of education, health, philanthropy, immigration, economic empowerment and civic engagement.
Below are examples of HF’s local and national impact:
- Launched pioneering programs to educate a new generation of Latino leaders, including Hispanic Leadership Institute nonprofit management classes, BoLD board service training and the CREAR Futuros Latino college success initiative.
- Created the most successful Latino Fund in the nation by providing more than 30 million dollars in total to fortify Latino nonprofits; helped launch the National Latino Funds Alliance (NLFA) which assists Latino Funds across the U.S. raise money for local communities and strengthen Latino philanthropic involvement
- Worked with the Latino Commission on AIDS to create National Latino AIDS Awareness Day, which is currently observed in over 100 cities all across the U.S.
- Helped more than 30,000 immigrants learn English and become citizens
- Registered more than 300,000 new Latino voters
- Provided disaster relief aid to tens of thousands of victims in NYC and Latin America
- Led local and national advocacy campaigns to fight for health care reform, immigrant rights, educational equity, the confirmation of Justice Sonia Sotomayor and the protection of the social safety net
WHY WE ARE DIFFERENT
No other Hispanic agency can beat HF’s depth of relationships with Latino communities and strength of connection with grass tops and grass roots stakeholders, especially in the Northeast. These strong bonds with community organizations, media, corporations, elected officials and government allow HF to work deeply in communities and pursue systemic change in its issue areas.