Public Policy Associate
Posted: Jul 20, 2018
Location: Washington, DC US
Hispanic Federation (HF) is currently seeking a Public Policy Associate to join our team in Washington, DC. Responsibilities include providing substantial federal policy research, writing, and administrative support to the DC policy team. The Public Policy Associate will report to the Director of National Advocacy. Hill experience or 2+ years working in legislative affairs preferred.
- Monitor, track, and summarize federal policy initiatives and bills including collecting, analyzing, and synthesizing information from a variety of sources;
- Perform substantial research and background for issue briefs, talking points, advocacy letters, blog posts, draft op-eds, policy statements and reports;
- Manage and track the organization’s participation in sign on letters, legislation, etc.
- Assist in responding to internal requests for information on our public policy, advocacy and research work.
- Participate in and act as a liaison for team projects.
- Assist with scheduling and coordination of internal and external meetings, including tracking and scheduling congressional meetings and hearings.
- Assist with recruitment and supervision of intern program;
- Assist with the planning and execution of federal advocacy days and fly-ins;
- Maintain work plans for all projects;
- Maintain advocacy and internal tracking systems, and assist in the development of new systems as needed; and
- Support the federal policy team's ability to track and respond to the evolving national policy context;
- File monthly lobbying trackers, expense reports, and other reports as needed; assist with travel arrangements as needed.
Bachelor’s degree required. Hill experience strongly preferred; comparable legislative experience a plus.
- At least 2 years related work experience.
- Basic understanding of legislative processes and familiarity with government research databases; experience tracking legislation and administrative activity preferred.
- Hill and/or legislative affairs experience and relationships a plus.
- Ability to organize work, follow through on projects, anticipate project needs, function independently as well as part of a team, and work effectively with interns.
- Ability to develop work plans, meet deadlines, and manage multiple policy projects simultaneously.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to analyze and synthesize information quickly and accurately and present numerical data effectively are essential.
- Demonstrated commitment to Latinx communities combined with knowledge of Latinx policy issues and understanding of intersectionality preferred.
- Strong organizational and computer skills required, including Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel), and Google collaborative platforms.
- Bilingual written and spoken (English/Spanish) a plus.
- Strong social media skills particularly as they relate to advocacy (or willingness to learn) preferred.
- Proficiency with social media platforms and social media advocacy experience a plus.
- Ideal applicants will be able to function independently as well as part of a team, be a self-starter, have a professional demeanor, and be an active supporter and participant in a collegial and productive work environment.
Full/Part Time: Full Time
The salary range for this position if $45-50k and is commensurate with experience. Compensation includes a competitive benefits package with medical, dental, vision and a 403 (B) retirement plan. Please submit a résumé, cover letter detailing your interest and qualifications, and two relevant writing samples via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.