Posted: Nov 14, 2018
Location: Albany, New York US
Hispanic Federation (HF) is currently seeking a Policy Analyst based in Albany, NY. The Policy Analyst will report to the Assistant Vice President for Policy and the Senior Director of Education Policy. Some of the Analyst’s responsibilities will include:
- Advancing HF’s New York State Policy Priorities and Campaigns
- Being knowledgeable of state policies affecting Latino communities primarily in immigration and education, as well as economic empowerment and health;
- Create and maintain an advocacy network to further the initiatives of HF;
- Work with HF NYC-based Policy Directors and AVP for Policy to inform advocacy efforts;
- Performing Policy and Data Analysis and Research
- Developing a plan for evaluating and analyzing relevant public and social policies that affect the Latino community;
- Monitoring and evaluating New York State policies and legislation;
- Performing data analysis and research related to identified policy areas;
- Writing Policy Briefs and Other Reports to Support Advocacy Efforts
- Performing substantial writing, including completing issue briefs, talking points, advocacy letters, and portions of policy reports;
- Draft rapid response policy statements, as needed;
- Serving as a Representative of HF
- Scheduling and attending meetings with legislative staff, policymakers, experts, and issue stakeholders to effectively communicate HF policy priorities;
- Serving as an advocate and representative of HF in meetings, policy forums, coalitions and networks;
- Supporting and Tracking Policy Advocacy Efforts
- Supporting the policy team's ability to track and respond to evolving state policy context;
- Maintaining work plans for all projects and advocacy tracking systems, and assisting in the development of new systems as needed
- Support Upstate Members Organizations
- Conduct advocacy trainings and coordinate other capacity building trainings for upstate member organizations
- Serve as a resource to upstate member organizations in their advocacy efforts
Minimum of a BA/BS degree, Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Political Science or Public Policy preferred.
At least three to five years of professional experience in policy research, analysis, writing and advocacy, preferably involving the Latino community. NY legislative experience and relationships a plus. Candidate must also have a strong ability to develop work plans, synthesize complex policy information, meet deadlines, and manage multiple policy projects, simultaneously. Strong verbal, written, computer and research skills are essential. Bilingual (English/Spanish) skills and a demonstrated commitment to Latino community a plus. Ideal applicants will be efficient, self-starters, results oriented, high energy, curious and quick learners.
Full/Part Time: Full Time
This is a full-time, permanent position. Compensation is commensurate with experience and benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision and 403 (B) retirement plan.
To apply: Please submit a résumé, cover letter and two writing samples (no more than 3-5 pages each) via e-mail to Almirca Santiago at email@example.com. No calls please.