Florida State Deputy Director
Posted: May 1, 2019
Location: Orlando, Florida US
Based in Orlando, the Florida State Deputy Director role is both inward- and outward-facing. She/he will be a thought partner to the Florida State Director and will be responsible for the internal organization and infrastructure necessary for the continued success and growth of the Hispanic Federation’s efforts to support, educate and engage Latinos across the state. This involves leading operations and supervising the Florida team in all efforts to advance a progressive advocacy agenda before state and local government bodies; coordinating community programs that empower Latino families, strengthening local Latino nonprofit member organizations, and forging strategic alliances with government, community, business, media and philanthropic partners to grow our team, reach and impact.
As part of a relatively new arm of HF’s growing organizational reach, the Florida State Deputy Director insure that proven, existing Federation programs and campaigns are successfully implemented in Florida, while also implementing locally-grown efforts to empower Latinos. Reporting to the Florida State Director, the Deputy State Director will is also member of the HF’s senior leadership team.
Community Programs: Ensure the successful delivery of multiple direct-service programs and multi-media public education initiatives that focus on health and mental health, food insecurity, immigrant integration, college retention, LGBTQ empowerment and voter engagement.
Policy Advocacy: Lead and supervise efforts to achieve local and statewide policy reforms through policy analysis, legislative advocacy, grassroots and grass-tops mobilization, coalition building and public education.
Capacity Building: Organize regular membership meetings, trainings and events to strengthen HF’s nonprofit member organizations in the areas of board recruitment, staff development, fundraising, financial management, advocacy and other operational needs.
Florida Operations: Supervise a staff of four, ensure the office operations are running smoothly, ensure finance and administrative documentation is properly submitted, drive fundraising and grant reporting to sustain and grow local initiatives, and represent HF in all local matters, in accordance with HF’s President and senior management.
Organizational Leadership and Development
- Work with State Director to pace and drive organization development, including analysis and implementation of priorities, partnerships, and infrastructure needs.
- Integrate operating infrastructure and functions with programmatic efforts, staff, HF NYC headquarters and partners.
- Serve as a senior-level thought partner, mentor, and bridge builder for organization.
Fundraising and Communications
- Work with the State Director and the NYC office to develop and implement fundraising strategies.
- Manage and coordinate foundation, individual, and events fundraising including, institutional proposal development and grant reporting.
- Partner with communications staff in NYC to develop and implement social and new media strategies.
Finance, Human Resources, and Administration
- Build organizational infrastructure to support NAPAWF’S work, including finance, human resources, facilities and technology.
- Ensure sound fiscal and risk management and contract and legal compliance, including insurance coverage.
- Monitor budget and financial controls in coordination with the NYC office.
- Oversee human resource functions and policies in coordination with the NYC office, and maintain the Federation as a great place to work and grow professionally.
- Supervise staff and consultants as determined.
- Four plus years in senior management roles including staff supervision, human resources, fundraising, finance, and/or operations in a social justice nonprofit or political context.
- High-level, strategic understanding of social change and progressive movements backed by direct experience with grassroots efforts.
- Commitment to the mission, values, aspirations of the organization.
- Experience and cultural competence working in the Latino community in a social justice context.
- Past success designing and leading organizational development and capacity building.
- Field and/or large-scale initiative building experience desirable.
- Experience with strategic, business and scenario planning helpful.
- Ability to implement vision, think strategically, creatively problem solve, exercise good judgment and lead change.
- Proven track record of attracting resources and partnerships, and developing and managing positive external relations.
- Facilitative and collaborative leadership style. Proven ability to work in a dynamic national team and build working partnerships. Can flexibly share leadership and build consensus. When necessary, can take initiative and make tough decisions.
- Success supervising and mentoring staff and supporting professional and leadership development. Excellent people skills.
- Excellent communicator and writer with experience as a spokesperson who can articulate messages to different audiences.
- Bilingual: English/Spanish
Full/Part Time: Full Time
This is a full-time position based in our New York City office. Starting salary is competitive, with a benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision and matching 403 (B) retirement plan. To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No telephone calls. For more information on Hispanic Federation, go to hispanicfederation.org.