Federal Policy Internship (Winter 2020)
Posted: Nov 15, 2019
Location: Washington, DC US
The Hispanic Federation (HF) is the nation’s premier Latino nonprofit membership organization. Founded in 1990, HF seeks to support Hispanic families and strengthen Latino institutions through work in the areas of immigration, the environment, education, civic engagement, economic empowerment, and health. With offices in New York, Washington D.C., Connecticut and Florida, and a nonprofit footprint throughout the East Coast, HF uplifts millions of Hispanic children, youth and families locally and nationally through three essential service pillars: membership services/grant making, advocacy, and community programs.
This internship opportunity is located in the Hispanic Federation, Washington, D.C. office. Hispanic Federation’s D.C. office is responsible for the federal policy advocacy that impacts our 100+ member organizations. Working alongside members of Congress and through national coalitions, Hispanic Federation’s role is to fight for progressive policies and equity for our members and the broader Hispanic community. The federal policy priority areas for the HF D.C. office include immigration, environment (climate change and public lands), rebuilding Puerto Rico, health, education, and civil rights.
Hispanic Federation’s D.C. office is seeking an intern to join our federal policy team and learn more about the role of federal advocacy, policy, and politics. This internship is ideal for someone with a strong academic record, excellent writing, research, and organizational skills, and someone eager to learn firsthand about policy and politics in our nation’s capital. As part of a small team, the federal policy intern may have opportunities to represent the organization at congressional briefings and events, attend rallies and advocacy activities, and gain experience in policy research, analysis, advocacy, and politics.
- Maintain various Hispanic Federation databases to track advocacy activity
- Provide administrative support for D.C. office with various tasks and assignments including organizing events and meetings
- Attend policy briefings and events on behalf of the Hispanic Federation DC office
- Conduct outreach to congressional offices to coordinate meeting logistics
- Conduct and synthesize research on federal policy proposals and political and legislative proceedings into easily accessible information to be used in fact sheets, internal and external policy briefings, etc.
- Assist in development of national and state level fact sheets on Hispanic Federation policy priorities and in response to shifting federal policy landscape
- Write, edit, and review sections of reports, congressional letters, and other written materials produced by the D.C. office
- Assist other members of DC team as needed
Current undergraduate student enrolled in political science, environmental sciences, sociology, or related field
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent research, writing, and organizational skills required
- Ability to quickly get up to speed on policy related issues
- Strong commitment to the mission of Hispanic Federation is required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google platforms
- Professional demeanor
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus (including the ability to read, write, and translate)
Start Date: Jan 13, 2020
To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and maximum 3-5 page writing sample to email@example.com.
Deadline to apply and internship duration:
- Internship will begin the week of Jan 13, 2020 and end the week of May 7, 2020 for a total of 11 weeks. Apply by Friday Nov 29, 2020.
In order to be considered, cover letter must include start and ending work dates, and days and number of hours per week available, grade level at time of internship, and GPA. Please include the words “Federal Policy Internship – Winter 2020” in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be considered.