Florida State Director
Posted: Mar 1, 2017
Location: Orlando, FL US
Hispanic Federation seeks a dynamic team leader with extensive program oversight, policy advocacy, capacity building and staff management experience to fill the critical position of Florida State Director.
Hispanic Federation (HF) is the nation's premier Latino nonprofit membership organization. Founded in 1990, HF seeks to support Hispanic families and strengthen Latino institutions through work in the areas of education, health, immigration, civic engagement, economic empowerment, and the environment.
Responsibilities: Based in Orlando, the Florida State Director will be responsible for supporting, educating and engaging Latinos across the state, advancing a progressive advocacy agenda before state and local government bodies, coordinating community programs that empower Latino families, strengthening local Latino nonprofit member organizations, and forging strategic alliances with government, community, business, media and philanthropic partners to grow our team, reach and impact. As part of a relatively new arm of HF's growing organizational reach, the Florida State Director will replicate proven existing programs and campaigns, while also spearheading locally-grown efforts to empower Latinos. Reporting to the Senior Vice President in New York, the Florida State Director is a member of the HF's senior leadership team, oversees all Orlando office operations, and supervises a staff of four.
Community Programs: Ensure the successful delivery of multiple direct-service programs and multi-media public education initiatives that focus on health and mental health, food insecurity, immigrant integration, college retention, LGBTQ empowerment and voter engagement.
Policy Advocacy: Lead and supervise efforts to achieve local and statewide policy reforms through policy analysis, legislative advocacy, grassroots and grasstops mobilization, coalition building and public education. Capacity Building: Organize regular membership meetings, trainings and events to strengthen HF's nonprofit member organizations in the areas of board recruitment, staff development, fundraising, financial management, advocacy and other operational needs.
Florida Operations: Supervise a staff of four, ensure the office operations are running smoothly, ensure finance and administrative documentation is properly submitted, drive fundraising and grant reporting to sustain and grow local initiatives, and represent HF in all local matters, in accordance with HF's President and senior management.
Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree in public administration, law, public policy, sociology or social work is strongly preferred.
• Seven years of professional experience in program oversight, policy advocacy, capacity building, and staff management duties including demonstrated career progression with increasing roles of responsibility;
• Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree in public administration, law, public policy, sociology or social work is strongly preferred;
• High-level, strategic understanding of social change and progressive movements backed by direct experience with culturally-competent grassroots efforts;
• Excellent communicator and writer in English and Spanish, with public speaking and policy and fundraising writing experience, who can articulate complex issues into persuadable messages to different audiences including, but not limited to, government officials, media, community leaders, policy experts, nonprofit managers, funders and the Latino community, in collaboration with the President and Senior Vice President;
• Track record facilitating meetings, conducting trainings and organizing events;
• Expertise in policy advocacy especially regarding Latinos, immigrants, education, health, economic empowerment, civil rights, civic engagement, nonprofits and/or the environment;
• Relationships with government, community and business leaders in Central Florida a plus;
• Exposure to civic and voter engagement campaigns preferred;
• An entrepreneurial spirit with an ability to manage up and ensure all Florida operations are performed in a timely, quality and effective manner;
• Capacity to work independently and keep organized in a fast-paced environment, manage several projects simultaneously, and adjust strategy to frequently changing demands;
• Ability to implement vision, think strategically, creatively problem solve, exercise good judgment and lead change;
• Can flexibly share leadership roles, build consensus and, when necessary, take initiative and make tough decisions;
• Success supervising and mentoring staff and supporting professional and leadership development including developing staff work plans, maintaining oversight of staff and volunteers activities, conducting regularly scheduled check-ins and identifying and supporting opportunities for staff training, shared learning and building expertise;
• Maturity, professionalism, excellent interpersonal skills, and an ability to exercise diplomacy are critical;
• Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with diverse and remote staff and partners including New York and Washington DC staff, various issue coalitions, government officials across the political spectrum, and a range of partners regardless of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance;
• Willingness and ability to drive within the state and attend conferences and meetings out of state, as appropriate; and
• Demonstrated commitment to advancing the Hispanic Federation's values, mission, and goals.
Full/Part Time: Full Time
To apply, please send a résumé and cover letter via e-mail to Almirca Santiago at email@example.com.