Director of Immigration & Civic Engagement
Posted: Feb 5, 2018
Location: New York City, New York US
The Hispanic Federation (HF) is the nation's premier Latino nonprofit membership organization. Founded in 1990, HF supports Hispanic families and strengthens Latino institutions through grant making and direct services in the areas of education, health, immigration, civic engagement, economic empowerment and the environment. Values that drive our work include equality, fairness, diversity and empathy.
The Hispanic Federation seeks a Director of Immigration & Civic Engagement to manage its immigrant services and programs, civic engagement initiatives, and assist in the development and coordination of issue advocacy, civic education, and organizing. The position will provide natural opportunities to learn and will require the ability to remain flexible and adaptable in regard to work assignments.
Job Duties and Responsibilities: Immigration
• Manage Hispanic Federation’s immigration programs and grants, including proposal design, program planning, subcontractor supervision, programmatic and financial review and reporting
• Oversee immigration public education campaigns, from immigration town halls and citizenship drives to digital media and traditional media immigration campaigns
• Plan and implement Hispanic Federation’s immigration policy priorities and advocacy strategy and tactics, which include coalition building, legislative visits, public demonstrations, government testimonies, etc.
Job Duties and Responsibilities: Civic Engagement
• Coordinate and implement HF’s National Civic Engagement plan, including all voter registration, voter education, and Get Out the Vote (GOTV) initiatives
• Supervise and manage civic engagement staff and volunteers, from canvasser leads to regional civic engagement program directors
• Direct community engagement and organizing at voter registration drives, voter education events, and GOTV campaigns
• Utilize Civic Engagement digital technology and databases, including the Voter Activation Network (VAN), and peer-to-peer and robo-texting messaging tools
Job Duties and Responsibilities: Other
• Ensure the high quality and success of Hispanic Federation’s immigration and civic engagement programs
• Cultivate key relationships and partnerships with community leaders and community based organizations in Hispanic Federation’s network
• Assist with other Hispanic Federation events and initiatives
Minimum of a BA/BS degree and demonstrated interest in not-for-profit, immigration, civic engagement, or community organizing
• At least two years of experience in non-profit program management and/or advocacy work
• Bilingual in English and Spanish, with speaking and writing skills in Spanish
• Self-starter with ability to prioritize work, meet deadlines, and adapt to evolving situations
• Strong ability to develop work plans, manage budgets, set deadlines, oversee multiple projects and duties simultaneously, and prioritize assignments
• Experience working in Civic Engagement campaigns
• Excellent, well-developed verbal and writing skills are essential
• Ideal applicants will be efficient, results-oriented with high energy and exhibit an exceptional ability to work with others
• Willingness to travel and work additional hours during the duration of special projects
• Ability to work well with a diverse group of staff and volunteers
• Strong commitment to Hispanic Federation's mission and core values
Full/Part Time: Full Time
This is a full-time position based in our New York City office. Starting salary is competitive, with a benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision and matching 403 (B) retirement plan. To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Must include the words "Director of Immigration & Civic Engagement" in the subject line. No telephone calls.